Nov 4, 2010

From El Mehdi...

Hello everybody, I'm a Moroccan teenager : I'm sixteen years old. I study in the "Lycee Lyautey" which works with the French education system. This year, my level is called "Première S" which is the scientific class where my classmate are between 16 and 17 years old. I've got 10 subjects to study : French, English, Spanish, Arabic, Biology/Geology, Physics/Chemistry, Mathematics, History/Geography, Physical Education and ECJS (which stands for civic, legal and social education). But the scientific block is the one that takes the most class time : 5 hours of Mathematics, 4 hours and a half of Physics/Chemistry and 4 hours of Biology/Geology.

My school is one of the biggest French high school in the world (there are about 3,400 students studying there !) and it is situated in Casablanca, Morocco's economic capital, a big city. Because I don't live there (but in Mohammedia, a smaller city 33 kilometer away), I have to take the car twice a day to go and to come back, each time during about one hour. This organisation is very tiring, moreover because I have to get up at 6 o'clock to be at school for the first lesson which begins at 7:50.

Well, I would like to tell you generally about Moroccan crafts which is, with Moroccan food and cooking, the most powerful symbol of Morocco.
First, it would be interesting to notice that woodwork is famous because it can be various and it is a very easy way for the tourists to keep a souvenir from Morocco. Indeed, you can find for example furniture (often tables) heavily decorated, boxes and many other various stuffs like sculpture or keychains.
Then, traditional carpets are also part of our craft industry : they are manually made by experienced craftmen and there are beautiful patterns on them.
Also, it would be a mistake to forget to talk about goldsmiths who are really present in Moroccan craft industry, indeed traditional metal work is a domain where Morocco is very developed.
Finally, I would like to end up with Moroccan traditional dresses which are very famous all over the world : Moroccan djellabas and caftans that are particular, long and elegant dresses.

I hope you enjoyed my small introduction and I'm very impatient to read you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment